Monday, March 10, 2008

Play Group, Family Visits, Projects from You Know Where, Credit Cards, and Callings

I took the girls to the ward Play Group on Thursday and trudged through the snow to get there. It was so beautiful but it left too quickly. Evidently we missed a HUGE snowstorm in our old neighborhood (it never did that when we lived there!!!!). We got about 4 inches here and it came down really fast but was mostly melted by the time Ben headed home from work. Amazing how it can be snowing and then heat up so fast. I met a lot of nice women from church. So weird to be the new one that doesn't know what's going on. But I'm going to book club in a couple of weeks and Enrichment is at the end of the month and I'll go to play group on Thursdays, so hopefully I won't be "the new one" for long.

B's parents came to visit for the weekend and we had a lot of fun with them. We put up all the new blinds in the house and took a lot of old fixtures and things to Good Will and decided to install the new kitchen faucet that my mom and brother bought us for a housewarming gift. The old one leaked and obviously needed repair, so Ben thought he could tackle the project with his dad assisting him. Sadly, the faucet was in SUCH bad shape that they could NOT take it off (B even sheered a bolt he was trying so hard to get the nut off!) and after 7 hours, the faucet was installed. In a new sink. Yes, he just took the whole dumb sink out of the countertop!!! It wasn't in the best shape anyway, so we just got a nice, shiny one from Lowes and put the faucet in that one! I am amazed at what B can do. He is SO strong! His dad said it should have just been a 30 minute project but things like that always happen with kitchen projects! :)

On Friday night we went to Pizza Hut and I let my screaming banshee (a.k.a. Little N) play with my wallet. No biggie. She plays with the cards and everything is always back where it should be before I leave the room. Well, we got home and I realized my Discover card was gone. I didn't think it had been in the wallet when we went to the restaurant because I was paying some bills beforehand and thought I left it on the desk. Couldn't find it. Pizza Hut couldn't find it. The next morning I reported it lost (I couldn't believe this had happened!!!) and later that night I put the older girls to bed and Little N was messing around in the living room. She opened our video drawer in the entertainment center (still empty) and pulled something out, walked over to me, and handed me my Discover card! AAAH! I called Discover right away and asked them to please not cancel my card and make me update all my automatic payment info with every company I buy from and they said, "Sorry, it's been cancelled. Just throw it away and your new one will be there within the week." Ugh! It's our only credit card, so this is a major pain but at least I know that I didn't lose it by letting my baby play with my wallet at Pizza Hut! I lost it because I left it on the desk that was within her reach! Dumb dumb dumb! I've learned my lesson. :)

B and I showed up at church on Sunday (our 2nd week!) and both were approached about callings. I am excited but very nervous to be the new Primary Chorister. I love music and I love kids but I know how much preparation goes into teaching these kids the songs, so I know I'm in for a lot of work! I think I'll beg my buddy Melissa for tips, since she's a pro! B is the 2nd counselor in... duh duh duh DUH... Young Mens. Big surprise! Oh well. He is really good in there and I guess he'll just be a forever youth leader!

The house is getting better every day and most rooms are at least 90% unpacked except for the office because we're still deciding where to put things and hoping to buy a new desk. So we're doing good. Next project is PAINTING! Anyone wanna come over for a painting party??? :)

7 comments:

Amy Pennington said...

Wow you have been busy....sounds fun! I am so glad that you found the card instead of having to wait months for charges to be challenged. Yeah for chorister you will do great! You have such a love for the kiddos! I thought about you last night at about 12:45 am when a storm was hitting us...I turned on the tv and it said there was even more storms in A-town and they would be hitting us...I will always think of you know everytime I watch the weather and see what is headed our way has already hit you:)

Kiera said...

wow, busy busy!!I am glad you are getting settled. Good luck in your callings.

Jenny said...

Brandi I am so glad to hear you are doing well out there! Sounds like you have a good Ward too, I'm glad. Congrats on the new calling. When I started doing music for the Nursery kids I got really nervous about it. You would be so surprised at how much kids learn from music and how fast they catch on. I'm sure you will do great!

I'm sorry you missed the giant storm here, it was really crazy! McKay and Alexa froze themselves to the core soaking up all of the snow-play time they could! I stayed inside and stayed warm.

Heidi said...

I've had to cancel a credit card before for the same reason--busy little fingers!

Good luck in your new home!

Meredith said...

You sound like you're doing GREAT! I'd love a new sink, one that is deeper, these shallow ones are no fun!:) We missed you yesterday, we went to the park and it was old habit to pick up the phone to call you and then I realized, oh ya, duh they're not here...boo. But I'm glad you are getting out and getting to know people, they'll love you in no time!

Melissa said...

Do you still have Sprint cell service? You can call for free and I'll offer you all the tips I have for chorister - which is mainly sing and smile:) Glad everything is going so well. We would love to come out and help paint! Let us know when.

Nicole said...

Sounds like an adventure Brandi! And oh, I 'm so sorry about the credit card....I've been there...it's not fun. I realized very quickly how attached I am to that little piece of plastic.