Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Parties and awards and visits... oh my!

Catch up time again! We had a very eventful June and I told Ben he needed to help me blog about it but he's never around, so...

I guess I should start with the last week of May actually. I threw a surprise baby shower for my friend Kim and it actually surprised her!!! Woo hoo! I sent out e-vites to a lot of our friends at church that I had e-mail addresses for and then told them to spread the word and we had a great turnout for dinner and a movie. I told Kim I wanted her to have a girls' night out with me and my friend who would be visiting. Then my friend got stranded at the airport with a cancelled flight and I told Kim that my friend wouldn't be here that night but I still wanted to go out. She was thrilled, thank goodness, or I would have had a really hard time making another excuse up to get her to her shower! So I picked her up and people were texting me to say they were at the restaurant and ready to say, “Surprise!” I was at a stop light and said, “We're at the intersection! Be ready!” I know Kim thought I was funny to be texting while driving (I was stopped though) and talking to her at the same time. I made a comment about how Julie was texting me all day updating me on the flight situation. We walked in and they yelled and she was truly surprised. Hooray!!! It was a great turnout and we had so much fun! She got a lot of cute clothing for her baby boy and money towards a double jogging stroller. We ate our dinner and then served up a Trifle that I made and it tasted as good as it looked! Eliza (our fearless RS leader) was thirsty, so asked the waiter to just bring her a pitcher of soda. :) Then some of us headed to the movie theater to watch, “Letters to Juliet.” A pretty cute, clean movie and some hilarious, crazy friends to watch it with – great night!





The next day was Jill's 1st grade Awards Assembly. She got lots of certificates for wonderful things but I was especially proud of two things. She received the 1st grade music award and I'm not sure what it's for but I love that she loves to sing and she'll always sing or play the piano on music share day. A girl after my own heart! In so many ways, really. Love that kid! She also was the #2 reader out of the 5 classes of 1st grade. She got to go to Midnight Madness (all the kids with a certain amount of Accelerated Reading points got to go to the school from 8 to midnight and play games, do crafts, eat pizza, and watch a movie) and I was a chaperone for that. It was fun for both of us and only three 1st graders got to go, so that was neat. She received a $15 gift card to Books-A-Million, which we have already spent on some childhood classics. She's almost done with “Anne of Green Gables” and she started it yesterday! I was in such a rush the day of the assembly that I couldn't find my camera and asked my friend, Sharla, to take pictures of Jill for me. It was hilarious when all the parents went forward to take pics of their kids, I just sat there and Jill looked at me like, “What's going on?” Sharla was waving at Jill and calling her name and Jill could NOT figure out why Cherith's mommy wanted to take pictures of her. Ha ha. I felt like a pretty lame mom. I told Sharla that if anyone asked I could say I hired a “professional” for my kid's pictures. :) She hasn't sent them to me yet, so I can't post how cute she was that day.

My dear friend Julie from my college days came to visit at the end of May and beginning of June. She missed the baby shower and the awards ceremony that she was looking forward to but we still managed to have fun. We went to Buffalo Gap Historic Village, Frontier Texas, the Center for Contemporary Arts, the Abilene Zoo, the Paramount Theater, and the Grace Museum. Basically everything to do in Abilene. :) My girls LOVED her and were sad to see her go. I felt like I could be easily replaced. One time I was trying to open a bottle and Jill said, “Do you want me to get Julie to do it?” Wow, I guess I'm not as good as Julie! :) I really enjoyed having her here and can't wait until I can go see her someday...


More updates to come...

No comments: