Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Starting School


Anyone that has talked to me recently probably knows that I was pretty disappointed about J not getting to go to kindergarten this year with most of her friends. She is 17 days too young for Texas schools to let her in, regardless of the fact that she's as tall as some second graders and she's reading as well as a second grader(no lie, she has just taken off in that area and loves it!). So I looked around for a good preschool and they are SO expensive (and I'm sure they're great!) but we decided the budget didn't allow for it. Then a friend told me her friend was going to hold a Pre-K class twice a week in her home for kids that were already 4 or 5 but not going to kindergarten. She's a member of our church, had great references, and a fee within our budget, so I signed J up and she started today! She seemed happy to go but not super excited. She walked right in, put her backpack and lunch down, picked up a new book, and started to read. Never mind that there were 4 kids there playing Legos in front of her! I know she's a bit shy for the first few minutes of any occasion but I'm guessing she'll be her social, talkative self by the next day for sure! Here's a pic of my cutie ready to go this morning!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

My goodness, she does look so grown up! Just think of how far ahead of all the other students she'll be with her height/age/reading advantage! I know....I was the YOUNGEST in my class. I started college when I was 17 (didn't you do that too?) and sometimes I definitely found it to be a disadvantage (especially when all my friends were driving/dating and I was.....waiting! She's a doll Brandi!

Amy Pennington said...

Girl you know I can relate....just so you know next year when she does start kindergarten she will be a great help for the teachers. That is what I hear about mine anyway. oh and I am proud to say I am that friend:)