Thursday, September 11, 2008

"I just think he's hot."


Yes, these words were uttered around our dinner table last night by my FIVE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER! Yes, she'll be 6 a week from today but STILL, she's way too young to talk like that. She just calmly started the conversation with... "I have a boyfriend."

Me: "You mean a boy who is a friend?"
Jill: "No, a boyfriend."
Dad: "You mean a boy who is nice and you play with?"
Jill: "No, a boyfriend!"
Dad: "I'm not going to let you go to school ever again!" (I'm cracking up inside and trying to be serious on the outside.)
Me: "Sorry, you can't have a boyfriend yet. Not until you're 16. Boyfriends are boys that you like to go on dates with and you can't date until you're 16."
Jill: (only slightly disappointed) "Oh."
Me: "Why do you call him your boyfriend? Did he say he liked you?"
Jill: "No."
Me: "Do you play with him at recess?"
Jill: "No, he sits at the red table and I just think he's hot."

WOW! We were so not prepared for this conversation during her 3rd week of Kindergarten! I explained that it's kind of disrepectful to say you like someone because of their looks. I told her to get to know people and like them because they are nice and friendly, not because of how cute they are. She said, "Ok," and then we went on talking about other things.

I seriously can't believe my baby is already boy crazy. I remember running from a boy named Jeff in kindergarten who wanted to kiss me. Yucky stuff back then. I think I was in 4th grade before I got bit by the love bug and got asked to "go" with a boy named Chad. My mom found the "check yes or no" note in my backpack and gave me a similar talk that I gave to Jill last night. One of my friends said she thinks she was "boy crazy from the womb" so I guess everyone is different! :) I have 3 girls, so I probably won't be able to avoid all of this drama until they're all married in 20 years! :)

5 comments:

Sorensens said...

Hello, that is so funny. Maci and me had that same conversation last year about a boy she liked at school. UGH- why do they have to grow up. FYI the "bra" talk was this year, she wants one. Just a little warning.
Have a great day.

Christy said...

Oh my. I wonder if I should get prepped for the boy talk too.... Chris would probably agree with Ben--She's not going back to school!!

Crysta said...

That is so funny! Is this what they are teachign in Kindergarten now? I better start preparing now!

Nicole said...

Hilarious! Maybe I wouldn't find it SO humorous if it was my daughter. Boys scare me, and now I have one.

And I love Wicked! I got to see it on Broadway last year....even Barrett LOVES the music. But he probably won't sing it for you....

Meredith said...

That is so dang funny! Cute little Jill, I can't believe she has a crush, how cute! Not looking forward to that happening around here but it's such fun hearing about other little ones! Good luck with that!